Thursday, June 4, 2015

I'll let you decide...

Hi folks...IDIOT...GENIUS or JUST PLAIN LUCKY...I'll let you decide...I was tempted to keep my latest adventure secret...safe within the 4 walls of the cubbyhole but you know me...I'm a warts and all kind of girl and hey if admitting that sometimes I act before I think saves you from the trauma I went through yesterday...so be it
It started off like any other day this week...busy working away making samples with the new Fiskars punches and part and parcel of road testing new products is trying out new materials but what I did next is unexplainable...unbelieveable and downright stupid...I should know better...if you feel resistance STOP is the Fiskars motto and I should practice what I preach. FELT self adhesive or otherwise is a definite NO NO when it comes to punches...it's never going to work so what on earth possessed me to persist with this insanity ending up with one very jammed...stuck fast disaster...
Normally with a paper jam a few sharp taps on the table does the trick but this is stuck on a whole other level...the more I tugged...the more the felt frayed...no amount of poking prodding or the utterance of bad words was going to persuade this guy to release his grip...
With deadlines snapping at my heels and no time to requisition a replacement...I needed to fire up the brain cells and come up with a "get me out of hot water" desperate measures solution pretty darned quick.  Of course...lightbulb moment...the answer was staring me in the face...those HOT WATER magic words unlocked an idea so with nothing to lose I immersed the punch in a bowl of boiling water...
crossed my fingers and prayed like billy-o and after twenty seconds or so...there was a loud CLICK...
 the punch had released and the felt floated free...
from IDIOT to GENIUS in such a short time or you may be thinking I was JUST PLAIN LUCKY.  It may have been a one-off and I'm not about to repeat the exercise to prove my theory but hey it's worth a try if you find yourself overcome by a "I can't help myself Kath moment". Rest assured that no harm has come to the punch...he's had a blast with the hairdryer and is back in the cubbyhole ready for action non the worse for being dunked but some final words of wisdom from this genius crafter...remember that the punch has been soaking in boiling water and dripping of said liquid may occur when removed from the bowl....OUCH.
See you all tomorrow
Hugs Kath xxx